Case Report of Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Laparoscopic Ventral Rectopexy for the treatment for Solitary rectal ulcer- a good choice?
Aldo Manuel Rodrigues Jarimba1*, Luís Ferreira A2, Teslyak O2, Ratinho J1, Marques S1, Barradas R1
1Resident of General Surgery at the Santarém District Hospital, Santarém, Portugal; 2Colon Surgeon, Rectal and General Surgeon, District Hospital of Santarém, Santarém, Portugal
Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome (SRUS) is an uncommon benign disease characterized by a combination of symptoms, clinical and histological findings, where men and women are affected equally, with a small predominance in women. Various treatment strategies have been advocated, ranging from conservative management to a variety of surgical procedures. Can laparoscopic ventral rectopexy be a good alternative for patients who do not respond to conservative treatment? Given the rarity of this pathology, we chose to present the case.
Keywords: Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome, Treatment; Laparoscopic ventral retopexy
How to cite this article:
Aldo Manuel Rodrigues Jarimba, Luís Ferreira A, Teslyak O, Ratinho J, Marques S, Barradas R.Laparoscopic Ventral Rectopexy for the treatment for Solitary rectal ulcer- a good choice?.Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2021, 4:58. DOI: 10.28933/ojgh-2021-10-3107
1. Qing-Chao Z;Rong-Rong S;Huan-Long Q;Yu W;”Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: Clinical features, pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment strategies”; World J Gastroenterol. 2014 Jan 21; 20: 738–744. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v20.i3.738
2. Mojgan F;Mohammad D;”Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome. A systematic review”; Medicine.2018; 97:18; doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000010565
3. Tandon RK, Atmakuri SP, Mehra NK, Malaviya AN, Tan- don HD, Chopra P. “Is solitary rectal ulcer a manifestation of a systemic disease?”. J Clin Gastroenterol 1990; 12: 286-290 DOI: 10.1097/00004836-199006000-00010
4. Sadeghi A; Biglari M; Adibi P;”Solitary Rectal Ulcer Syndrome: A Narrative Review”. Middle East Journal of Digestive Diseases, 28 Jun 2019, 11:129-134 DOI: 10.15171/mejdd.2019.138
5. Geramizadeh R;Baghernezhad M, and Jahanshani A;”Solitary Rectal Ulcer: A Literature Review”; Ann Colorectal Res. 2015 December; 3:e33500 ; doi: 10.5812/acr.20749
6. Saeed A, Narjes T, Yamini M, Bagheri M, Sadeghi A,et al; “Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: addition of rectal therapies to biofeedback is more effective than biofeedback alone”; Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench 2019;12:197-202].
7. Yousef Q, Mahmoud M; “A systematic review and meta‐analysis of the efficacy of medical treatments for the management of solitary rectal syndrome;” Saudi J Gastroenterol 2020;264-12; doi: 10.4103/sjg.SJG_213-19
8. Badrek-Amoudi A; Roe T;Mabey K,Carter H;et al; “Laparoscopic ventral mesh rectopexy in the management of solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: a cause for optimism?”; ColorectalDisease. 15, 575–58 ; codi.12077
9. Swatton A;”Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: physiology and treatment options;” British Journal of Nursing, 2009,Vol 18, No 21;
10. Chiang JM, Changchien CR, Chen JR; “Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: an endoscopic and histological presentation and literature review”; Int J Colorectal Dis  21: 348–356 ; DOI 10.1007/s00384-005-0020-6 ;
11. Torres C, Khaikin M, Bracho J et al.”Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: clinical findings, surgical treatment, and outcomes.” Int J Colorectal Dis  22:1389–1393 ; DOI 10.1007/s00384-007-0344-5
12. Gouriou C;Chambaz M;Ropert A;Bouguen G;Desfourneaux V; “A systematic literature review on solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: is there a therapeutic consensus in 2018?”International Journal of Colorectal Disease,2018; doi.org/10.1007/s00384-018-3162-z
13. Gourioua C;Chambaz M;Ropertb A;Bouguena G,Venarae A;et al. ”Management of solitary rectal ulcer syndome: Results of a French national surgery”. Digestive and Liver Disease 2020;16:50; doi.org/10.1016/j.dld.2020.05.013
CC BY 4.0
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.