Case Report of Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Pure alphafetoprotein producing neuroendocrine carcinoma of the stomach: A case report
Chen-Wei Chu1, Chien-ho Tsai2, Yu-Huan Huang3, Chun-I Tsai4, Swei-hsiung H Tsung5
1.Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Yuanshan branch, Yuanshan, Yilan, Taiwan.
2.Deparment of surgery, National Yang-Ming University Hospital, Yilan.Taiwan.
3.Department of Nursing, National Yang-Ming University Hospital, Yilan, Taiwan
4.Chun-I Tsai Medical Clinic. Yilan, Taiwan.
5.Department of Pathology, St Mary’s Hospital, Loudong, Yilan, Taiwan
Alpha-fetoprotein-producing gastric carcinoma (AFP-GC) is a rare malignant tumor, and has been regarded as a distinct category because of its particularly aggressive biological behavior and poor patient prognosis. In the literature, AFP-GC was never reported in neuroendocrine carcinoma of the stomach. In this article, we described a 60-year old man who sought medical attention because of epigastric pain and poor appetite. His laboratory data were within normal limits except for elevated serum level of alpha-fetoprotein. He was found to have an ulcer on gastroscopic examination which led to the final diagnosis of AFP producing neuroendocrine carcinoma of the stomach. He underwent a radical gastrectomy followed by chemotherapy using leucovorin and 5-fluorouracil.His disease was brought under remission for only six months before radiological recurrence occurred. His recurrent disease was treated with irinotican plus cisplatin without a significant response. His prognosis looked grave. We reported the first case of AFP producing gastric neuroendocrine carcinoma to share our experience.
Keywords: gastric cancer. Alpha-fetoprotein. Neuroendocrine carcinoma. Chemotherapy. Immunohistochemical stainings. Radiological recurrence.
How to cite this article:
Chen-Wei Chu, Chien-ho Tsai, Yu-Huan Huang, Chun-I Tsai, Swei-hsiung H Tsung. Pure alphafetoprotein producing neuroendocrine carcinoma of the stomach: A case report.Open Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2020, 3:41.. DOI: 10.28933/ojgh-2020-09-1307
1. Bourreille J, Metayer P, Sauger F, Matray F, Fondimare A. Existence of alpha-fetoprotein gastric origin secondary cancer of the liver. Presse Med. 1970; 78:1277-1278.
2. Li XD, Wu CP, Ji M, Wu J, Lu B, Shi HB, Jiang JT. Characteristic analysis of alpha-fetoprotein producing gastric cancer in China. World J Surg Oncology. 2013;11:246-251
3. Takahashi Y, Mai O, Ueda H, Sawaguchi K, Ueno M.Clinical pathological study of AFP producing gastric cancer. J Jpn Surg SOC Clin Surg. 1987; 88:696-700.
4. Kinjo T, Taniguchi H, Kushima R, Sekine S, Oda I, Saka M, Gotoda T, Kinjo F, Fujita J, Shimoda T. Histologic and immunohistochemical analysis of a-fetoprotein-producing cancer of the stomach. Am J Surg Pathol. 2012; 36:56-65.
5. La Rosa S, Rindi G, Solcia E, Tang LH. Gastric neuroendocrine neoplasm. WHO Classification of Tumor of the Digestive System. Lyon IABC Press: 2019:104-109
6. Suzuki A, Koide N, Kitazawa M, Mochizuka A, Ota H, Migayawa S. Gastric composite tumor of alpha-fetoprotein producing carcinoma/hepatoid adenocarcinoma and endocrine carcinoma with reference to cellular phenotypes. Pathology Re-search International. 2011; 2012:1-8.
7. Ishida M, Sekine S, Fukagawa T, Ohashi M, Morita S, Taniguchi H, Katai H, Tsuda H, Kushima. Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the stomach: morphologic and immunohistochemical characteristics and prognosis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013; 37:949-959.
8. News. Clinical Investigation. 2011; 1:9-12.
9. Aizawa M, Nagatuma A, Kitada K, Kuwata T, FujiiS, Kinoshita T, Ochiai. Evaulation of HER2-based biology in 1006 cases of gastric cancer in Japanese population. Gastric Cancer. 2014; 1: 34-42.
10. Kuo CY, Tsai CI, Tsung SH. Complete Clinical Response of a Patient with Advanced Alpha-fetoprotein Producing Gastric Cancer Treated with Chemotherapy and Trastuzumab. Gastroin-retinal Cancer: Research and Therapy. 2017; 2:1-3.