Research Article of International Research Journal of Public Health
Overview on Physical Violence Against Women Between 2009 and 2018 in Brazil
Vítor Pereira Contini*; Gabriela Vasconcelos de Moura; Laura de Lima Bigolin; Julia Perito Alfredo
Universidade Católica de Pelotas
Objectives: To determine the existence of a pattern of women most frequently victims of physical violence in Brazil over a period of 10 years.
Methods: Data from the DATASUS platform were collected on the records of domestic, sexual and other violence, registered by physical violence against female persons between 2009 and 2018. Data from the Violence and Accident Surveillance System on characteristics of the violent act against women were also collected. The Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics was also used to collect data from the National Household Sample Survey (PNAD). For bibliographic reference, the descriptors “Domestic and Sexual Violence against Women”, “Domestic Violence” and “Domestic Violence” were searched on virtual data basis and Brazilian articles that were published within the period of the present study were included.
Results: There is a continuous and rapid increase in the first half of the study period, with a slight deceleration between 2014 and 2016, followed by a new jump in records from 2017. As for race, the largest numbers are white women, 348428, and browns, 308902. Black women represent 68.25% of the total records of domestic, sexual and other violence, with 8.3% of the total records of physical violence.
Conclusion: It is possible to estimate that black women are not making complaints or possibly are not being seen with due care to make them. As it is data that depends on denunciation, which is often not carried out, the results need consideration regarding assertiveness and reflection of reality.
Keywords: domestic violence, physical violence, physical aggression.
How to cite this article:
Vítor Pereira Contini; Gabriela Vasconcelos de Moura; Laura de Lima Bigolin; Julia Perito Alfredo.Overview on Physical Violence Against Women Between 2009 and 2018 in Brazil.International Research Journal of Public Health, 2021; 5:52. DOI: 10.28933/irjph-2021-08-0106
1. Leite Franciéle Marabotti Costa, Luis Mayara Alves, Amorim Maria Helena Costa, Maciel Ethel Leonor Noia, Giant Denise Petrucci. Violence against women and their association with the intimate partner profile: a study with primary care users. Rev. bras. epidemiol. [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2020 Oct 30]; 22: e190056. Available from: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1415-790X2019000100455&lng=en. Epub Dec 05, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1590/1980-549720190056.
2. Garcia Leila Posenato, Duarte Elisabeth Carmen, Freitas Lúcia Rolim Santana de, Silva Gabriela Drummond Marques da. Domestic and family violence against women: case studies and controls with victims treated in urgent and emergency services. Cad. Saúde Pública [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2020 Oct 30]; 32 (4): e00011415. Available from: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0102-311X2016000400704&lng=en. Epub Apr 19, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1590/0102-311X00011415.
3. Antunes Juliana Teixeira, Machado Ísis Eloah, Malta Deborah Carvalho. Risk and protection factors related to intrafamily violence against Brazilian adolescents. Rev. bras. epidemiol. [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 Oct 30]; 23 (Suppl 1): e200003.SUPL.1. Available from: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1415-790X2020000200401&lng=en. Epub July 03, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1590/1980-549720200003.supl.1.
4. Ministry of Health. Viva: instruction on the notification of domestic, sexual and other violence [Internet]. 1st ed. Brasília: [publisher unknown]; 2011 [cited 2020 Oct 7]. Available from: https://crianca.mppr.mp.br/arquivos/File/sinan/viva_instrutivo_not_viol_domestica_sexual_e_out.pdf
5. IBGE, compiler. National Household Sample Survey [bibliography on the Internet]. 1st ed. [place unknown: publisher unknown]; 2018 [cited 2020 Oct 8]. Available from: https://www.ibge.gov.br/estatisticas/multidominio/genero/20163-estatisticas-de-genero-indicadores-sociais-das-mulheres-no-brasil.html?=&t=resultados
6. IBGE, compiler. Informação Demográfica e Socioeconômica: Desigualdades Sociais por Cor ou Raça no Brasil [bibliography on the Internet]. 41th ed. [Brasil; São Paulo]; 2019 [cited 2020 Oct 3]. Available from: https://biblioteca.ibge.gov.br/visualizacao/livros/liv101681_informativo.pdf
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.