Review Article of International Journal of Food and Nutrition Research
Astaxanthin: The possible effects of this carotenoid on disease, inflammation and aging control. A meta-analysis
Ferro M.*, Graubard A. and Beauchesne T.
FG Scientifica and Science Department at Nutrition Formulators Inc., Miramar, Fl, 10407 N Commerce, Parkway, Miramar, Fl 33025 Miramar, Fl, USA
Astaxanthin (ATX), a red pigment that belongs to the xanthophyll subclass of carotenoids, has a strong antioxidant ability and can eliminate singlet oxygen (O2-) as well as hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and lipid peroxidation. ATX can also prevent mitochondrial dysfunction by permeating and co-localizing within the mitochondria and inhibit the release of cytochrome c resulting from mitochondrial permeabilization and, thus, prevent mitochondrial-mediated apoptotic cell death. Due to its antioxidant capacity and modulating properties of cell signaling, ATX exhibits a variety of beneficial biological activities among them protection against UV damage, anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory activity, metabolic syndrome (MS) relief, cardioprotective effects, antidiabetic activity, prevention of neuronal damage, anti-aging and anticancer activity. The aim of the present study was to evaluate what has been published about ATX in PubMed/Medline between 2020-2021. The results were distributed in four Tables as follows: Table 1-Publication types; Table 2- Proposal for evaluating the article in vivo; Table 3- Cells markers used in clinical studies in vivo; Table 4- Astaxanthin in human clinical trial. We could observe that the interest of the scientific community has been growing in relation to the benefits of ATX. The results presented in the articles evaluated in this meta-analysis showed us that AXT is already a reality as an option in treatments for various diseases, including glaucoma, heart and vascular injury, type 2 diabetes and fatty liver. We conclude that ATX may not only be a promising nutraceutical as an ally to alternative treatments of the pathologies mentioned above, but also as a powerful prophylactic in elderly individuals in prevention of diseases associated with aging.
Keywords: Astaxanthin; Inflammation; Oxidative Stress; Mitochondria; Aging
How to cite this article:
Ferro M., Graubard A. and Beauchesne T.Astaxanthin: The possible effects of this carotenoid on disease, inflammation and aging control. A meta-analysis. International Journal of Food and Nutrition Research, 2021; 5:44. DOI:10.28933/ijfnr-2021-08-0905
1. YUAN J, PENG J, YIN K, WANG J. Potential health.promoting effects of astaxanthin: a high.value carotenoid mostly from microalgae. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011 Jan;55(1):150.65.
2. ITO N, SEKI S, AND UEDA F. The Protective Role of Astaxanthin for UV.Induced Skin Deterioration in Healthy People—A Randomized, Double.Blind, Placebo.Controlled Trial. Nutrients. 2018 Jul; 10(7): 817.
3. PARK JS, CHYUN JH, KIM YK, LINE LL, AND CHEW BP. Astaxanthin decreased oxidative stress and inflammation and enhanced immune response in humans. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010; 7: 18.
4. HUSSEIN G, NAKAGAWA T, GOTO H, SHIMADA Y, MATSUMOTO K, SANKAWA U, et al. Astaxanthin ameliorates features of metabolic syndrome in SHR/NDmcr.cp. Life Sci. 2007 Jan 16;80(6):522.9.
5. FASSETT RG, AND COOMBES JS. Astaxanthin in Cardiovascular Health and Disease. Molecules. 2012 Feb; 17(2): 2030–2048.
6. LANDON R, GUEGUEN V, PETITE H, LETOURNEUR D, PAVON.DJAVID G, AND ANAGNOSTOU F. Impact of Astaxanthin on Diabetes Pathogenesis and Chronic Complications. Mar Drugs. 2020 Jul; 18(7): 357.
7. GALASSO C, OREFICE I, PELLONE P, CIRINO P, MIELE R, IANORA A, et al. On the Neuroprotective Role of Astaxanthin: New Perspectives? Mar Drugs. 2018 Aug; 16(8): 247.
8. TOMINAGA K, HONGO N, FUJISHITA M, TAKAHASHI Y, AND ADACHI Y. Protective effects of astaxanthin on skin deterioration. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2017 Jul; 61(1): 33–39.
9. HORMOZI M, GHOREISHI S AND BAHARVAND P. Astaxanthin induces apoptosis and increases activity of antioxidant enzymes in LS.180 cells. Artificial Cells, Nanomedicine, and Biotechnology. 2019, VOL. 47, NO. 1, 891–895.
10. KIDD P. Astaxanthin, cell membrane nutrient with diverse clinical benefits and anti.aging potential. Altern Med Rev. 2011 Dec;16(4):355.64.
11. KIM SH and KIM H. Inhibitory Effect of Astaxanthin on Oxidative Stress.Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction.A Mini.Review. Nutrients. 2018 Sep; 10(9): 1137.
12. SZTRETYE M, DIENES B, GÖNCZI M, CZIRJÁK T, CSERNOCH L, DUX L, et al. Astaxanthin: A Potential Mitochondrial.Targeted Antioxidant Treatment in Diseases and with Aging. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2019; 2019: 3849692.
13. WOLF AM, ASOH S, HIRANUMA H, OHSAWA I, IIO K, SATOU A, et al. Astaxanthin protects mitochondrial redox state and functional integrity against oxidative stress. J Nutr Biochem. 2010 May;21(5):381.9.
14. KRESTININA O, BABURINA Y, KRESTININ R, ODINOKOVA I, FADEEVA I, and SOTNIKOVA L. Astaxanthin Prevents Mitochondrial Impairment Induced by Isoproterenol in Isolated Rat Heart Mitochondria. Antioxidants (Basel). 2020 Mar; 9(3): 262.
15. PARK JS, MATHISON BD, HAYEK MG, ZHANG J, REINHART GA, CHEW BP. Astaxanthin modulates age.associated mitochondrial dysfunction in healthy dogs. J Anim Sci. 2013 Jan;91(1):268.75.
16. PONGKAN W, TAKATORI O, NI Y, XU L, NAGATA N, CHATTIPAKORN SC, et al. β.Cryptoxanthin exerts greater cardioprotective effects on cardiac ischemia.reperfusion injury than astaxanthin by attenuating mitochondrial dysfunction in mice. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2017 Oct;61(10).
17. BABURINA Y, KRESTININ R, ODINOKOVA I, SOTNIKOVA L, ALEXEY KRUGLOV A, AND KRESTININA O. Astaxanthin Inhibits Mitochondrial Permeability Transition Pore Opening in Rat Heart Mitochondria. Antioxidants (Basel). 2019 Dec; 8(12): 576.
18. FAN C, SUN J, FU X, HOU Y, LI Y, YANG M, et al. Astaxanthin Attenuates Homocysteine.Induced Cardiotoxicity in Vitro and in Vivo by Inhibiting Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Oxidative Damage. Front Physiol. 2017; 8: 1041.
19. LIU PO, AOI W, TAKAMI M, TERAJIMA H, TANIMURA Y, NAITO Y, et al. The astaxanthin.induced improvement in lipid metabolism during exercise is mediated by a PGC.1α increase in skeletal muscle. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2014 Mar; 54(2): 86–89.
20. AOI W, NAITO Y, TAKANAMI Y, ISHII T, KAWAI Y, AKAGIRI S, et al. Astaxanthin improves muscle lipid metabolism in exercise via inhibitory effect of oxidative CPT I modification. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008 Feb 22;366(4):892.7.
21. NISHIDA Y, NAWAZ A, KADO T, TAKIKAWA A, IGARASHI Y, ONOGI Y, et al. Astaxanthin stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis in insulin resistant muscle via activation of AMPK pathway. J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2020 Feb;11(1):241.258.
22. SEKIKAWA T, KIZAWA Y, LI Y, AND TAKARA T. Cognitive function improvement with astaxanthin and tocotrienol intake: a randomized, double.blind, placebo.controlled study. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2020 Nov; 67(3): 307–316.
23. KATAGIRI M, SATOH A, TSUJI S, SHIRASAWA T. Effects of astaxanthin.rich Haematococcus pluvialis extract on cognitive function: a randomised, double.blind, placebo.controlled study. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2012 Sep;51(2):102.7.
24. GRIMMIG B, KIM SH, NASH K, BICKFORD PC, DOUGLAS SHYTLE R. Neuroprotective mechanisms of astaxanthin: a potential therapeutic role in preserving cognitive function in age and neurodegeneration. GeroScience. 2017;39:19–32.
25. GALASSO C, OREFICE I, PELLONE P, CIRINO P, MIELE R, IANORA A, et al. On the Neuroprotective Role of Astaxanthin: New Perspectives? Mar Drugs. 2018 Aug; 16(8): 247.
26. ZHU N, LIANG X, ZHANG M, YIN X, YANG H, ZHI Y, et al. Astaxanthin protects cognitive function of vascular dementia. Behav Brain Funct. 2020 Nov 18;16(1):10.
27. WU W, WANG X, XIANG Q, MENG X, PENG Y, DU N, et al. Astaxanthin alleviates brain aging in rats by attenuating oxidative stress and increasing BDNF levels. Food Funct. 2014 Jan;5(1):158.66.
28. BLUM L, ROSENBAUM D, RÖBEN B, DEHNEN K, MAETZLER W, AND SUENKEL U. Age.related deterioration
of performance and increase of cortex activity comparing time.versus item.controlled fNIRS measurement. Sci Rep. 2021 Mar 24;11(1):6766.
29. LIGUORI I, RUSSO G, CURCIO F, BULLI G, ARAN L, DELLA.MORTE D, et al. Oxidative stress, aging, and diseases. Clin Interv Aging. 2018; 13: 757–772.
30. PASSOS JF, SARETZKI G, AHMED S, NELSON G, RICHTER T, PETERS H, et al. Mitochondrial dysfunction accounts for the stochastic heterogeneity in telomere.dependent senescence. PLoS Biol. 2007 May;5(5):e110.
31. JIAN FU, HAIBIN SUN, HAOFEI WEI, MINGJIE DONG, YONGZHE ZHANG, WEI XU, et al. Astaxanthin alleviates spinal cord ischemia.reperfusion injury via activation of PI3K/Akt/GSK.3β pathway in rats. J Orthop Surg Res. 2020; 15: 275.
32. KIM SH, LIM JW, AND KIM H. Astaxanthin Prevents Decreases in Superoxide Dismutase 2 Level and Superoxide Dismutase Activity in Helicobacter pylori.infected Gastric Epithelial Cells. J Cancer Prev. 2019 Mar;24(1):54.58.
33. GAO F, WU X, MAO X, NIU F, ZHANG B, DONG J. et al. Astaxanthin provides neuroprotection in an experimental model of traumatic brain injury via the Nrf2/HO.1 pathway. Am J Transl Res. 2021; 13(3): 1483–1493
34. SUN X, JI Y, TAHIR A, AND KANG J. Network Pharmacology Combined with Transcriptional Analysis to Unveil the Biological Basis of Astaxanthin in Reducing the Oxidative Stress Induced by Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2020 Nov 11;13:4281.4295.
35. CHEN Y, ZHAO S, JIAO D, YAO B, YANG S, LI P, et al. Astaxanthin Alleviates Ochratoxin A.Induced Cecum Injury and Inflammation in Mice by Regulating the Diversity of Cecal Microbiota and TLR4/MyD88/NF.κβ Signaling Pathway. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2020; 2020: 2647670.
36. FU J, SUN H, WEI H, DONG M, ZHANG Y, XU W et al. Astaxanthin alleviates spinal cord ischemia.reperfusion injury via activation of PI3K/Akt/GSK.3β pathway in rats. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research volume 15, Article number: 275 (2020).
37. HU S, KANG H, JANG H, BAE M, KIM M, PHAM T, et al. The Role of Histone Deacetylase 9 in the Therapeutic Effects of Astaxanthin on Non.Alcoholic Steatohepatitis. Curr Dev Nutr. 2020 Jun; 4(Suppl 2): 1257.
38. KIKUCHI K, DONG Z, SHINMEI Y, MURATA M, KANDA A, NODA K, et al. Cytoprotective Effect of Astaxanthin in a Model of Normal Intraocular Pressure Glaucoma. J Ophthalmol. 2020; 2020: 9539681.
39. TANAKA.GONOME T, XIE Y, YAMAUCHI K, MAEDA.MONAI N, TANABU R, KUDO T, et al. The protective effect of astaxanthin on the ganglion cell complex in glutamate/aspartate transporter deficient mice, a model of normal tension glaucoma, analyzed by spectral domain.optical coherence tomography. Biochem Biophys Rep. 2020 Sep; 23: 100777.
40. KRESTININ R, BABURINA Y, ODINOKOVA I, KRUGLOV A, FADEEVA I, ZVYAGINA A, et al. Isoproterenol.Induced Permeability Transition Pore.Related Dysfunction of Heart Mitochondria Is Attenuated by Astaxanthin. Biomedicines. 2020 Oct; 8(10): 437.
41. XIE W, HOU G, WANG L, WANG S, AND XIONG X. Astaxanthin suppresses lipopolysaccharide.induced myocardial injury by regulating MAPK and PI3K/AKT/mTOR/GSK3β signaling. Mol Med Rep. 2020 Oct; 22(4): 3338–3346.
42. PAN X, ZHANG K, SHEN C, WANG X, WANG L, AND HUANG Y. Astaxanthin promotes M2 macrophages and attenuates cardiac remodeling after myocardial infarction by suppression inflammation in rats. Chin Med J (Engl) 2020 Aug 5; 133(15): 1786–1797.
43. SUN L, MIYAJI N, YANG M, MILLS EM, TANIYAMA S, UCHIDA T et al. Astaxanthin Prevents Atrophy in Slow Muscle Fibers by Inhibiting Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species via a Mitochondria.Mediated Apoptosis Pathway. Nutrients. 2021 Feb; 13(2): 379.
44. ÖZBEYLI D, GÜRLER EB, BUZCU H, ÇILINGIR.KAYA OT, ÇAM ME, AND YÜKSEL M. Astaxanthin alleviates oxidative damage in acute pancreatitis via direct antioxidant mechanisms. Turk J Gastroenterol. 2020 Oct; 31(10): 706–712.
45. KATO T, KASAI T, SATO A, ISHIWATA S, YATSU S, MATSUMOTO H, et al. Effects of 3.Month Astaxanthin Supplementation on Cardiac Function in Heart Failure Patients with Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction.A Pilot Study. Nutrients. 2020 Jun; 12(6): 1896.
46. DAVALLI P, MITIC T, CAPORALI A, LAURIOLA A, AND D’ARCA D. ROS, Cell Senescence, and Novel Molecular Mechanisms in Aging and Age.Related Diseases. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016; 2016: 3565127.
47. CORNIER M, DABELEA D, HERNANDEZ TL, LINDSTROM RC, STEIG AJ, STOB NR, et al. The Metabolic Syndrome. Endocr Rev. December 1, 2008; 29(7): 777–822.
48. PARK JS, CHYUN JH, KIM YK, LINE LL, AND CHEW BP. Astaxanthin decreased oxidative stress and inflammation and enhanced immune response in humans. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010; 7: 18.
49. MAHJOUB S, AND MASROUR.ROUDSARI J. Role of oxidative stress in pathogenesis of metabolic syndrome. Caspian J Intern Med. 2012 Winter; 3(1): 386–396.
50. MASHHADI NS, ZAKERKISH M, MOHAMMADIASL J, ZAREI M, MOHAMMADSHAHI M, HAGHIGHIZADEH MH. Astaxanthin improves glucose metabolism and reduces blood pressure in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2018;27(2):341.346.
51. DINICOLANTONIO JJ, MCCARTY M, AND OKEEFE J. Astaxanthin plus berberine: a nutraceutical strategy for replicating the benefits of a metformin/fibrate regimen in metabolic syndrome. Open Heart. 2019; 6(2): e000977.
52. FERRO M, GRAUBARD A, ESCALANTE P, LEDEZMA R, CHANNAN G, MIA N, et al. Mitochondrial Metabolism, Dysfunctions in Senescence Cell and the Possible Interventions through Herbal Medicines. IJOAR, 2021; 4:78.
53. JIA Y, KIM JY, JUN HJ, KIM SJ, LEE JH, HOANG MH, et al. The natural carotenoid astaxanthin, a PPAR.α agonist and PPAR.γ antagonist, reduces hepatic lipid accumulation by rewiring the transcriptome in lipid.loaded hepatocytes. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2012 Jun;56(6):878.88.
54. TENENBAUM A, FISMAN EZ. Fibrates are an essential part of modern anti.dyslipidemic arsenal: spotlight on atherogenic dyslipidemia and residual risk reduction. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2012 Oct 11; 11():125.
55. AOI W, NAITO Y, TAKANAMI Y, AND ISHII T. Astaxanthin improves muscle lipid metabolism in exercise via inhibitory effect of oxidative CPT I modification. March 2008 Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 366(4):892.7.
56. STAELS B, AUWERX J. Regulation of apo A.I gene expression by fibrates. Atherosclerosis. 1998 Apr; 137 Suppl():S19.23.
57. INAGAKI T, DUTCHAK P, ZHAO G, DING X, GAUTRON L, PARAMESWARA V, et al. Endocrine regulation of the fasting response by PPARalpha.mediated induction of fibroblast growth factor 21. Cell Metab. 2007 Jun; 5(6):415.25.
58. CHOI C. Astaxanthin as a Peroxisome Proliferator.Activated Receptor (PPAR) Modulator: Its Therapeutic Implications. Mar Drugs. 2019 Apr; 17(4): 242.
59. STAELS B, RUBENSTRUNK A, NOEL B, RIGOU G, DELATAILLE P, MILLATT LJ et al. Hepatoprotective effects of the dual peroxisome proliferator.activated receptor alpha/delta agonist, GFT505, in rodent models of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease/nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Hepatology. 2013 Dec;58(6):1941.52.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.