Review Article of International Journal of Food and Nutrition Research
EATING DISORDERS AND THEIR RISK FACTORS IN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS: AN INTEGRATIVE REVIEW
Lívia Lócio Rosado de Oliveira¹*; William Barros Agrelli Girão2; Eduardo Tomilheiro de Farias3; Mateus Cotias Filizola4, Wirley Matias Alves Martins Duarte5; Edmundo de Oliveira Gaudêncio6
1Estudante do Curso de Medicina da Faculdade Pernambucana de Saúde,2, 3,4 Estudante do Curso de Medicina da Universidade Federal de Pernambuco – UFPE; 5Estudante do Curso de Medicina da Universidade UFCG, 6Professor Associado II da Universidade Federal de Campina Grande
Introduction: Eating disorders are psychiatric disorders that lead to biopsychosocial impairment with high rates of morbidity and mortality in the population. The prevalence of eating disorders in college students is quite significant, especially in health and female courses, associated with poor diet, and the influence of the media on the perfect body, becoming a social problem and public health that should be addressed in the daily lives of health professionals.
Objectives: Analyze in literature the risk factors in college students for eating disorders.
Methodology: The research took place in the CAPES Periodicals, PubMed and VHL Regional Portal. Descriptors were the terms: “Eating Disorders and Food Intake”, “Risk Factors” and “Students”. Articles published between 2014 and 2018 were included. Results: Of the 3287 articles found, only eleven were included in the review. Evidence was found that eating disorders may result from personal body perception associated with poor diet and excessive alcohol consumption. It can be expressed through the personal need to satisfy the physical image with the psychological, almost always unreachable. Evidence was also found that eating disorders are associated with higher parental education, living in urban areas, eating outside the home and the first two years after college entry.
Conclusion: The literature on the interaction between eating disorders and risk factors is still incipient to the detriment of the complexity and scope of the phenomenon. It is also highlighted the need for further investigations on diagnostic and therapeutic teaching strategies of health professionals in order to reduce the morbidity arising from these events.
Keywords: Feeding and Eating Disorders, Risk Factors, Students.
How to cite this article:
Lívia Lócio Rosado de Oliveira; William Barros Agrelli Girão; Eduardo Tomilheiro de Farias; Mateus Cotias Filizola, Wirley Matias Alves Martins Duarte; Edmundo de Oliveira Gaudêncio6 EATING DISORDERS AND THEIR RISK FACTORS IN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS: AN INTEGRATIVE REVIEW. International Journal of Food and Nutrition Research, 2020; 4:36. DOI:10.28933/ijfnr-2020-01-2005
1. World Health Organization, Constitution of WHO: principles, disponível em: <http://www.who.int/about/mission/en/>.
2. 2 – American Dietetic Association (ADA). Position of the American Dietetic Association: nutrition intervention in the treatment of anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and other eating disorders. J Am Diet Assoc. 2006;106: 2073-82.
3. Van den Berg P, Thompson JK, Obremski-Brandon K, Coovert M. The tripartite influence model of body image and eating disturbance: a covariance structure modeling investigation testing the meditational role of appearance comparison. J Psychosom Res. 2002; 53: 1007-29.
4. Vieira VCR, Priore SE, Ribeiro SMR, Franceschini SCC, Almeida LP. Perfil socioeconômico, nutricional e de saúde de adolescentes recém-ingressos em uma universidade pública brasileira. Rev Nutr. 2002;15(3):273-82.
5. National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), disponível em: <https://www.nimh.nih.gov/index.shtml>
6. Mills, J. S., Polivy, J., McFarlane, T. L., & Crosby, R. D. (2012). The natural course of eating pathology in female university students. Eating Behaviors, 13, 297–304.
7. MENDES, K.D.S., SILVEIRA, R.C.C.P.; GALVÃO, C.M. Revisão integrativa: método de pesquisa para a incorporação de evidências na saúde e na enfermagem. Texto Contexto Enferm. 2008; 17(4):758-64.
8. O’HARA L, TAHBOUD-SCHULTE S , THOMAS J. Weight-related teasing and internalized weight stigma predict abnormal eating attitudes and behaviours in Emirati female university students. 2016 Elsevier
9. YU J, LU M, TIAN L, LU W, MENG F, CHEN C, TANG T, HE L, YAO Y. Prevalence of disordered eating attitudes among university students in Wuhu, China. AULA MEDICA EDICIONES 2014
10. REIS, J.A.D; SILVA JUNIOR, C.R.R; PINHO, L.D. Fatores associados ao risco de transtornos alimentares entre acadêmicos da área de saúde. Rev. Gaúcha Enferm., Porto Alegre , v. 35, n. 2, p. 73-78, June 2014
11. AL-THANI M.A, KHALED S.M. “Toxic pleasures”: A study of eating out behavior in Arab female university students and its associations with psychological distress and disordered eating.Elsevier 2018
12. Kristanto T, Chen WS, Thoo YY. Academic burnout and eating disorder among students in Monash University Malaysia. 2016 Elsevier
13. Yu Z, Tan M. Disordered Eating Behaviors and Food Addiction among Nutrition Major College Students. Nutrients. 2016 Oct
14. Wollenberg G, Shriver LH, Gates GE. Comparison of disordered eating symptoms and emotion regulation difficulties between female college athletes and non-athletes. Eat Behav. 2015 Aug
15. Gropper SS, Arsiwalla DD, Lord DC, Huggins KW, Simmons KP, Ulrich PV. Associations among eating regulation and body mass index, weight, and body fat in college students: the moderating role of gender. Eat Behav. 2014 Apr
16. MARTINEZ-GONZALEZ, Leticia et al. Prevalencia de trastornos de la conducta alimentaria en universitarios españoes y factores asociados: proyecto uniHcos. Nutr. Hosp., Madrid , v. 30, n. 4, p. 927-934, oct. 2014 .
17. Pengpid S, Peltzer K, Ahsan GU. Risk of eating disorders among university students in Bangladesh. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2015 Feb
18. Tavolacci MP, Grigioni S, Richard L, Meyrignac G, Déchelotte P, Ladner J. Eating Disorders and Associated Health Risks Among University Students. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015 Sep-Oct
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.