Review Article of International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews
Craniofacial implants: what maxillofacial surgeon needs to understand
Department of maxillofacial surgery and diagnostic sciences, college of dentistry, Qassim University, Qassim , Saudi Arabia
Since discovery of the osseointegration of titanium in the 1950s, dental implants have been made of titanium the 1960s. In 1977, the first extraoral titanium implant was inserted for craniofacial rehabilitation aims. Craniofacial implants start to be popular for craniofacial reconstruction and rehabilitation. Craniofacial implants become as revaluation in rehabilitation fields, to day even large facial defect can be reconstructed via this surgical –prosthetic technique. The aim of this review is to explain and clarify the indications and techniques for such procedure.
Key Words: craniofacial implants, facial defects, facial rehabilitation.
How to cite this article:
Faris Almutairi. Craniofacial implants: what maxillofacial surgeon needs to understand. International Journal of Dental Research and Reviews, 2021, 4:45. DOI: 10.28933/ijdrr-2020-12-0705
1. Federspil PA. Implant-retained craniofacial prostheses for facial defects. GMS Curr Top Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;8:Doc03. doi:10.3205/cto000055.
2. Ariani N, Visser A, van Oort RP, Kusdhany L, Rahardjo TB, Krom BP, van der Mei HC, Vissink A. Current state of craniofacial prosthetic rehabilitation. Int J Prosthodont. 2013 Jan-Feb;26(1):57-67. doi: 10.11607/ijp.3220. PMID: 23342336.
3. Ariani N, Visser A, van Oort RP, Kusdhany L, Rahardjo TB, Krom BP, van der Mei HC, Vissink A. Current state of craniofacial prosthetic rehabilitation. Int J Prosthodont. 2013 Jan-Feb;26(1):57-67. doi: 10.11607/ijp.3220. PMID: 23342336.
4. Ariani N, Visser A, van Oort RP, Kusdhany L, Rahardjo TB, Krom BP, van der Mei HC, Vissink A. Current state of craniofacial prosthetic rehabilitation. Int J Prosthodont. 2013 Jan-Feb;26(1):57-67. doi: 10.11607/ijp.3220. PMID: 23342336.
5. Holgers KM. Tjellström A. Soft tissue reaction around percutaneous implants: a clinical study on skin-penetrating titanium implants used for bone-anchored auricular prostheses. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1987;2:35–38.
6. Jacobsson M, Tjellström A, Thomsen P, et al. Integration of titanium implant in irradiated bone: histologic and clinical study. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1988;97:337–340.
7. Toljanic JA, Eckert SE, Roumanas E, Beumer J, Huryn JM, Zlotolow IM, Reisberg DJ, Habakuk SW, Wright RF, Rubenstein JE, Schneid TR, Mullasseril P, Garcia LT, Bedard JF, Choi YG. Osseointegrated craniofacial implants in the rehabilitation of orbital defects: an update of a retrospective experience in the United States. J Prosthet Dent. 2005; 94: 177-182. DOI: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2005.04.016
8. Miles BA, Sinn DP, Gion GG. Experience with cranial implant based prosthetic reconstruction. J Craniofac Surg 2006;17: 889–897.
9. Roumanas ED, Chang TL, Beumer J. Use of osseointegrated implants in the restoration of head and neck defects. J Calif Dent Assoc 2006;34:711–718.
CC BY 4.0
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.