Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Myocardial infarction as initial presentation of polycythemia vera and its treatment challenges, a case report
Hadeel Alfar1, Ahmed A. Elyas2, Mohamed A. Yassin3
1Department of Medicine, Hamad General Hospital, Hamad Medical corporation, Doha Qatar. 2Department of cardiology and cardiovascular diseases, Hamad Medical Corporation, Doha Qatar. 3Department of Medical Oncology, Hematology Section, Hamad Medical Corporation Doha Qatar
Polycythemia vera (PV) is one of Myeloproliferative neoplasm which has common and uncommon mode of presentations. Myocardial infarction (MI) is rare at initial presentation. Here we report 55-year-old women presented with MI and found to have PV in whom, coronary intervention was delayed as there is no evidence based literature guidance in cases of acute MI and PV.
Keywords: Myocardial infarction; polycythemia vera
How to cite this article:
Hadeel Alfar, Ahmed A. Elyas, Mohamed A. Yassin. Myocardial infarction as initial presentation of polycythemia vera and its treatment challenges, a case report. International Journal of Case Reports, 2021; 5:258. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2021-11-15052
1. Turkina A, Wang J, Mathews V, Saydam G, Jung CW, Al Hashmi HH, Yassin M, Le Clanche S, Miljkovic D, Slader C, Hughes TP. TARGET: a survey of real‐world management of chronic myeloid leukaemia across 33 countries. British Journal of Haematology. 2020 Mar 30.
2. Yassin MA, Taher A, Mathews V, Hou HA, Shamsi T, Tuğlular TF, Xiao Z, Kim SJ, Depei W, Li J, Rippin G. MERGE: a multinational, multicenter observational registry for myeloproliferative neoplasms in Asia, including Middle East, Turkey, and Algeria. Cancer Medicine. 2020 Apr 30.
3. Al-Dewik N, Ben-Omran T, Zayed H, Trujillano D, Kishore S, Rolfs A, Yassin MA. Clinical exome sequencing unravels new disease-causing mutations in the myeloproliferative neoplasms: a pilot study in patients from the state of Qatar. Gene. 2019 Mar 20;689:34-42.
4. Tefferi, A, Barbui, T. Polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia: 2019 update on diagnosis, risk-stratification and management. Am J Hematol. 2019; 94: 133– 143. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.25303
5. Policitemia GI. Polycythemia vera: the natural history of 1213 patients followed for 20 years. Annals of Internal Medicine. 1995 Nov 1;123:656-64.
6. Taher A, Yassin MA, Xiao Z, Hou HA, Tuglular T, Mathews V, Rippin G, Sadek I, Siddiqui A, Wong RS. Impact of myeloproliferative neoplasms [MPNs] on health-related quality of life [HRQOL] and medical resource utilization: results from the MERGE registry. Blood. 2018 Nov 29;132[Supplement 1]:4311-.
7. Francesco Passamonti 1, Elisa Rumi, Ester Pungolino, LuciaMalabarba, Paolaertazzoni, MarinaValentini, EsterOrandi, Luca Arcaini, ErcoleBrusamolino, Cristiana Pascutto, Mario Cazzola, Enrica Morra, Mario Lazzarino . Am J Med 2004 Nov 15;117:755-61. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2004.06.032.Life expectancy and prognostic factors for survival in patients with polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia .
8. A I Schafer . Bleeding and thrombosis in the myeloproliferative disorders, PMID: 6375757.
9. M A Elliott 1, A Tefferi. Br J Haematol 2005 Feb;128:275-90. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2004.05277.x. Thrombosis and haemorrhage in polycythaemia vera and essential thrombocythaemia PMID: 15667529 .
10. T C Pearson 1 . Semin Thromb Hemost 1997;23:433-9. doi: 10.1055/s-2007-996120. Hemorheologic considerations in the pathogenesis of vascular occlusive events in polycythemia vera PMID: 9387202 .
11. Raffaele Landolfi 1, Leonardo Di Gennaro, Tiziano Barbui, Valerio De Stefano, Guido Finazzi, Rosamaria Marfisi, GianniTognoni, RobertoMarchioli, European Collaboration on Low-Dose Aspirin in Polycythemia Vera [ECLAP] Blood 2007 Mar 15;109:2446-52. doi: 10.1182/blood-2006-08-042515. Epub 2006 Nov 14.Leukocytosis as a major thrombotic risk factor in patients with polycythemia vera .
12. Pósfai É, Marton I, Borbényi Z, Nemes A. Myocardial infarction as a thrombotic complication of essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera. Anatolian journal of cardiology. 2016 Jun;16:397.
13. Rossi C, Randi ML, Zerbinati P, Rinaldi V, Girolami A. Acute coronary disease in essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera. Journal of internal medicine. 1998 Jul;243:49-53.
14. Landolfi R, Marchioli R, Kutti J, Gisslinger H, Tognoni G, Patrono C, Barbui T. Efficacy and safety of low-dose aspirin in polycythemia vera. New England Journal of Medicine. 2004 Jan 8;350:114-24.
15. Lee HF, Wang CL, Chan YH. Replacement of clopidogrel with ticagrelor for a patient with polycythemia vera accompanied by repeated myocardial infarction and acute stent thrombosis. J Cardiovasc Med Ther. 2017;1:1-4.
16. Pedersen OH, Larsen ML, Kristensen SD, Hvas AM, Grove EL. Recurrent cardiovascular events despite antiplatelet therapy in a patient with polycythemia vera and accelerated platelet turnover. The American journal of case reports. 2017;18:945.
17. Davis MI, Courtney BK, Cohen G, Poon S, Madan M. Polycythemia Vera Presenting as Cardiac Arrest: Novel Management Strategies. Case Rep Cardiol. 2019;2019:9656387. Published 2019 Jan 22. doi:10.1155/2019/9656387
18. Friedrich EB, Kindermann M, Link A, Böhm M. Splenic rupture complicating periinterventional glycoprotein IIb/IIIa antagonist therapy for myocardial infarction in polycythemia vera. Z Kardiol. 2005 Mar;94:200-4. doi: 10.1007/s00392-005-0197-2. PMID: 15747043.
19. Osada H, Nakajima H, Meshii K, Ohnaka M. Acute coronary artery bypass graft failure in a patient with polycythemia vera. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2016 Feb;24:175-7. doi: 10.1177/0218492314550725. Epub 2014 Sep 4. PMID: 25193984.
20. Gilbert HS. Current management in polycythemiavera.SeminHematol. 2001;38:25-28.
21. Adel A, Abushanab D, Hamad A, Abdulla M, Izham M, Yassin M. Assessment of dasatinib versus nilotinib as upfront therapy for chronic phase of chronic myeloid leukemia in qatar: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Cancer Control. 2021;28:10732748211001796.
22. Iqbal P, Soliman A, De Sanctis V, Yassin MA. Association of tuberculosis in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: a treatment proposal based on literature review. Expert Rev Hematol. 2021;14:211–7.
23. Atteya A, Ahmad A, Daghstani D, Mushtaq K, Yassin MA. Evaluation of Hepatitis B reactivation among patients with chronic myeloid leukemia treated with tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Cancer Control. 2020;27:1073274820976594.
24. Yassin MA, Ata F, Mohamed SF, Alkhateeb A, Naeem U, Al-Qatami AI, et al. Ophthalmologic manifestations as the initial presentation of chronic myeloid leukemia: a review. Surv Ophthalmol. 2021;S0039–6257–2.
25. Yassin MA, Ghasoub RS, Aldapt MP, Abdulla MA, Chandra P, Shwaylia HM. Effects of intermittent fasting on response to tyrosine kinase inhibitors [TKIS] in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: an outcome of european leukemianet project. Cancer Control. 2021;28:10732748211009256.
26. Hamamyh T, Yassin MA. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia in chronic myeloid leukemia. Pharmacology. 2020;105:630–8.
27. Ali E, Soliman A, De Sanctis V, Nussbaumer D, Yassin M. Priapism in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia [CML]: a systematic review. Acta Biomed. 2021;92:e2021193.
28. Ali EA, Nashwan AJ, Yassin MA. Essential thrombocythemia with [type 2] calreticulin presented as stuttering priapism case report and review of literature. Clin Case Rep. 2021;9:399–404.
29. Yassin MA, Soliman AT, De Sanctis V. Effects of tyrosine kinase inhibitors on spermatogenesis and pituitary gonadal axis in males with chronic myeloid leukemia. J Cancer Res Ther. 2014;2:116–21.
30. Yassin MA, Kassem N, Ghassoub R. How I treat obesity and obesity related surgery in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: An outcome of an ELN project. Clinical Case Reports. 2021 Mar;9:1228-34.
31. . Allahverdi N, Yassin M, Ibrahim M. Environmental Factors, Lifestyle Risk Factors, and Host Characteristics Associated With Philadelphia Negative Myeloproliferative Neoplasm: A Systematic Review. Cancer Control. 2021 Sep 1;28:10732748211046802.
CC BY 4.0
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.